Friday, July 16, 2010

Report Card Day

Sarah and I went with Ramesh to the school to pick up the kids results from exams.  I really enjoyed this.  It wasn't because I had the best tea ever in the principal's office while waiting for the packets of grades for 31! kids.  Waiting with Sarah in there with the other parents made me feel like those parents, and i was picking up my kids' grades, we were their persons.  I had a sense of protectiveness for them and I felt as though I was someone important in their life.
On the way home we carried a stack of yellow folders.  I peaked over Ramesh's shoulder and saw that he failed.  The he walked ahead and peaked at several other kids papers, he even lost one it the wind but luckily it didn't get dirty.  I peaked at a few kids's folders too.
When we got back the kids were very anxious, except Rohan, he was his normal self.  We gave the results to Manoj and he called kids in on what seemed to be a random basis.

The first noteworthy story is when Angina came out and had received a 93.  Kids were yelling 93!! 93!! 93!!  and her little face was priceless.  A modest smile with raised shoulders and a tilted head.  All the kids cheered and cheered, I yelled "winner, winner".

Anjana was quite funny.  I was outside and she came up and simply came to report the results to me, "I passed 3, I failed 4" smiling.  I loved it, gave her a hug and said good job on 3.

I never saw Buddhi Ram get his grades, but he must've failed at least one.  Sarah said when he told her, he had tears in his eyes.

Sudip seemed upset after he got his grades, which surprised me because I peaked at his and I thought I saw a 98.  But I think he might've failed one.  I followed him upstairs where he was looking out his window into the rice fields on the cloudy day.  Kesheba came in with me and we both sat with Sudip, silently, while he reflected.  He's a little wild man but I have definitely observed a reflective side to him as well and to see him care so much about school at his age shows me yet another side to my peanut.  I am very proud of him.

----
Miscellaneous quote:
"I met two Americans, the mother looked like a daughter and the daughter looked like a mother."
  -Mina

No comments:

Post a Comment