Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Recap of the Chitwan weekend...

I forgot my journal over the weekend to Chitwan :(

Highlights
waterfall shower, check.
ride on top of a bus, check.
bathing with elephants, check.



"We saw a rhino, while on an elephant in Nepal"

Rhino

The night of the world cup final we stayed up to watch.  The power went out, per usual but we adapted quite well.  We met 3 gals from the Netherlands and a group of us took the 10 min walk to where we did the elephant bathing and watched the match on a large screen from a generator in the jungle.  I was very tired and the match was so long, with so many penalties.


The drive to Chitwan was beautiful as was the scenary for rafting...
I went on the weekend with plans of finding a trek in Pokhara to do my last days.  That changed, I've now changed my flight home and booked "7 days in Tibet".  The only hang up is I'm missing my aunt's 80th birthday.  I had scheduled my whole trip around it and then changed it once I was here.  But at the Ethiad office I flipped a coin on to go or not to go to Tibet.  Sarah and I had kind of made it this thing over our destiny to go and in the moment, by flipping a coin I felt like i was doing that.  So it will be quite exciting to see what this trip turns up to be.  The airline office guy let me keep the rupee I tossed because I reminded him of himself.  It's my destiny coin now.

In Kathmandu on the way to Ethiad office we ran into our rafting guide from the weekend, whom Sarah seemed to have a huge crush on.  It's so weird, in Nepal I came knowing no one but I'm always running into people I know now.  It's just the dynamic of the place.  On Friday when Sarah and i were going to Kathmandu from Bhaktapur for the first time we came out of the town with no real idea of our means to get to Kathmandu.  Sarah said, "What do we do?"  I replied, "Just stand here until someone helps us."  It just kind of works that way here.  So next thing you know the two of us are on a bus with no one else but the driver and his friend headed to Kathmandu for only 500 rupees.  We got dropped off in somewhere, Kathmandu and when we finally got towards our guest house, out comes 5 other IVHQ volunteers we were going to Chitwan with.  The whole weekend was really full of standing around until you get a clue and running into familiar faces.  


I also got my nose pierced, it's very Nepali.  I feel like that is something that could be a big event or just a passerby happening.  In this environment it was breakfast and just stopping by a shop.  Reminds me of my last skydiving experience.  I scheduled it like one would a manicure appointment.  I'll call and if they can fit me in i'll join was the comment I made to Casey that morning.  But then again she brought out a lot of the seize the moment in me anyway.  And here in Nepal, it's a constant seize the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment