Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Lights out

Tonight was great. The power went out just as we were about to watch tv after dinner. After a few minutes Manoj asked Sarah and I if we had any ideas of something to do. Sarah suggested singing. They sang us their Nepali National Anthem. Bhupin stood tall and stoic with his arms behind his back. Manoj led and every single one sang, lights out except our flashlights. It was filled with voices and culture.
After they finished they told us to sing our national anthem. At which point I couldn't thank Sarah enough for her suggestion of singing. And for whatever reason, I did. The entire Star Spangled Banner, solo. First time ever singing alone. I'm as bad as I'd thought I'd be, but I be damned if the children didn't have smiles on their faces and give me a huge round of cheers. Sarah sang a bit of Australia's national anthem, but she didn't know it all, lol. But either did they and they enjoyed her excerpt as well ;). With lights still out we had moved on to magic tricks and chatted. The whole day was good today, and Sarah and were both glad the power went out.

(foreshadow, we'd later learn that the power goes out regularly, very regularly, ha)

No comments:

Post a Comment